BAYARD CUTTING ARBORETUM
Designed by Frederick Law Olmsted for William Bayard Cutting in 1887, the Bayard Cutting Arboretum was donated to the Long Island State Park Region by Bayard’s wife and daughter in 1936 to provide a quiet oasis for the enjoyment of nature.
The renovation and restoration of the Carriage House at the Arboretum for the NY State Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation was a component of the master plan to relocate the maintenance and storage facility housed in the first floor to a new maintenance building designed by JLGA. Removal of the garage allowed a program to restore the Carriage House and renovate the interior of the first floor, providing exhibition space and lecture rooms.
The Carriage House had suffered from severe water damage and required replacement of the roof, decorative copper elements, rotted trim, and restoration of the windows. The shingle pattern was carefully replicated and the entire building was re-clad. A new maintenance building was designed to replace functions previously contained within the Carriage House.
The facility includes two garage bays, a vehicle lift and tool room designed to store and maintain the park’s numerous trucks, tractors, mowers, and other equipment. Modern mechanical and ventilation systems make these facilities a safe and comfortable work environment for the park’s arborists and gardeners.